This is a problem I'm trying to solve with GeoSeer (https://www.geoseer.net) - it's a search engine for public OGC services (WMS, WFS, WCS, WMTS) that brings many of those datasets (over 450,000 so far) into a single place. Over time I plan on adding other types of GIS data to it, but that of course is contingent on being able to reliably and automatically find it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

On 2018-03-28 14:11, karsten wrote:
Dear All,
I just had a colleague ask me about open data repositories for GIS files. Despite knowing the usual suspects such as OSM, GeoWiki, Natural earth data , Global administrative areasand so on I am not aware that there would be a more general option to store general research GIS data e.g. for scientific purposes such as agricultural research results ... The original request from my colleague is: /"Regarding open GIS data, where are the most stable/accessible/well known depositories of open access data that researchers can add their data to? We are thinking of the possibilities for archiving data layers so that they can be used by anyone, but ( ideally) without us having to take responsibility for running the servers etc. As an example for non-spatial data we use Dataverse."/
Would anyone be aware of such a repository ?
Thanks
Karsten
Karsten Vennemann
www.terragis.net <http://www.terragis.net>