I couldn't resist publicly giving a shout-out to Ron Fortunato and
AWorldBridge and their connection to these other organizations. In my view,
they are leading the globe in this kind of cross organizational
"commons-based peer production" effort and all GeoForAll labs should
consider trying to mimic what they are doing.

Great work Ron and teams!

Charlie Schweik

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 6:29 AM, Suchith Anand <
suchith.an...@nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>

> I would like to congratulate our GeoForAll lab colleagues -  Ron
> Fortunato’s and his students at AWorldBridge for their exceptional
> determination and efforts in contributing technical excellence and
> substantive achievements to assisting small-holder farmers in Africa in
> managing the Fall Armyworm through the Fall Armyworm Monitoring & Early
> Warning System mobile app .  They built this for FAO that FAO then
> released as their app! Details at  http://www.fao.org/news/
> story/en/item/1106850/icode/
>

> The Fall Army Worm is having a devastating impact on Africa. If you want
> to know more about the Fall Army Worm FAW, see this,
>
> http://www.fao.org/food-chain-crisis/how-we-work/plant-
> protection/fallarmyworm/en/
>

> Ron’s AWorldBridge is one of the GeoForAll Labs (they have two labs - one
> running projects for NASA and UN FAO in Middletown, NY, USA and a second
> one running delivering corresponding data including climate change studies
> for USGS, NOAA and NASA at Barrow, Alaska, USA. Everything they produce is
> open source.
>

> Please see  FAO thank you certificate
>
> https://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/fao/WorldBridgeCertificate.pdf
>

> Thanks to Patrick for sharing this excellent news.
>

> A World Bridge is an international award-winning program for learning 21st
> Century Skills, using advanced teaching methods that incorporate real-
> world projects involving industry and government partners. A World Bridge
> continually advances educational models for international leadership,
> economic development, and educational research. These dynamic projects
> involve the design and implementation of Real-world, Real-time Project-
> Based Learning into the curriculum. Students develop professional skills
> while working on locally-oriented projects that have relevance to the
> larger global community, such as urban management and sustainable
> resources. Details at http://aworldbridge.com
>

> I am particularly impressed by their work with students through NASA
> Europa Challenge. Alaska’s A World Bridge program in Kodiak won
> back-to-back NASA Europa - International Grand Challenges the past two
> years, competing against the world’s “Best and the Brightest” to generate
> solutions to societal issues that will benefit both the local and world
> communities.  The students are also working on the NASA OpenCitySmart
> global initiative, which challenges “the world’s best and brightest” to
> find solutions for creating sustainable communities. They are looking for
> renewable energy solutions and the development of shared energy grids
> suitable for Arctic conditions.
>

> Please see the amazing work that the students are doing that was
> summarised in our June 2017 Newsletter at https://www.osgeo.org/wp-
> content/uploads/Newsletter-Vol-3_6.pdf
>

> We are very grateful to the contributions of these amazing students to
> GeoForAll. It is important that we can share these amazing ideas with all
> [...]

Charlie Schweik

Professor
Department of Environmental Conservation & School of Public Policy
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

Facebook: Charles.Schweik
Twitter: @cschweik