De: Discuss <discuss-boun...@lists.osgeo.org> en nombre de Victoria Rautenbach
<victoria.rautenb...@gmail.com>
Enviado: domingo, 11 de octubre de 2020 15:56
Para: annou...@lists.osgeo.org; osgeolist
Asunto: [OSGeo-Discuss] 2020 OSGeo AGM – First virtual annual general meeting

News item at,
https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/2020-osgeo-agm-first-virtual-annual-general-meeting/

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we held our annual general meeting (AGM)
virtually this year on 10 September 2020. In this news article, we provide a
short report on this successful event.

This year’s OSGeo annual general meeting (AGM) was dedicated to the memory of
Olivier Courtin (charter member from 2014) who recently passed. Olivier was a
member of the MapServer PSC, co-founder of the Oslandia chapter and creator of
the TinyOWS project. He was a beloved member of the OSGeo community and will be
missed by all. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

The OSGeo annual general meeting (AGM) took place on 10 September 2020 and had
over 100 participants worldwide that attended the event. Since then, the
recording on YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TydDbCa00I&t=1s> has been
viewed over 460 times. The aim of the AGM was to provide an update on the
activities of the Board of Directors, upcoming events, projects, committees and
many more. You can view the full slide deck
here<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1C6llSnWZ28c2aWQgttPiOnoo6dttdqKg07ugU_yr6Uc/edit?usp=sharing>.

To start the AGM off, our President, Angelos Tzotsos provided a quick overview
of OSGeo including membership, sponsor and local chapters as this meeting was
open to the general community and not only charter members. This was followed
by reports from the chair of the board, the treasurer and secretary. Next the
chief returning officer (CRO) presented the information from the 2019 election
at which 38 nominees were confirmed as charter members. OSGeo currently has 456
active charter members.

OSGeo is also excited to announce that we are a Category A liaison with ISO/TC
211<https://committee.iso.org/home/tc211> which will allow our members to
access documentation and also participate in the standardising process.
Additionally over the last 2 years we have also strengthened our relationship
with OGC, and relevant projects are working hard on certification services for
OGC<https://www.ogc.org/> compliance. We have also participated in the OGC code
sprints and hope to do more joint events in the future.

Unfortunately, the 2020 global conference, called FOSS4G, had to be cancelled
due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and travel restrictions. The board and all
OSGeo members thank the local organising committee for their hard work. But
this event led into the discussion of how we will handle conferences and events
in a post-COVID society. At the moment, the 2021 FOSS4G in Buenos Aires is
still confirmed. There were also a number of successful online events (i.e.
conferences, code sprints, etc) that were held in 2020 and we thank all the
organisers.

This was followed by the reports from various projects, committees and
initiatives. All 8 current committees present on their work since the last AGM
and plans for the upcoming year. Additionally, the Lexicon committee also
presented their work as they were in formation. Next was the OSGeo projects,
and a total of 20 projects presented their activities and how they are working
under the current circumstances. There are currently 4 active projects in
incubation working hard to graduate to full OSGeo projects, and 6 community
projects. An advantage of the virtual AGM was that projects had a bit more
time, and it was great to hear about all their accomplishments. All
participants were amazed by the amount of work that all the projects have done
over the last year and we like to thank all the contributors and leadership
teams.

OSGeo is proud of the fact that we have over 60 local chapters world-wide on
all continents (apart from Antartica). These chapters provide a way for members
across the world to connect with like minded individuals in their own country
and language. Every year there is a large number of local events, and this
would not be possible without the local leadership and enthusiastic community,
thank you all! We have 24 local chapters that presented their activities during
the AGM.

OSGeo and its members are also involved in various initiatives, such as the
Google Summer of Code (GSoC), Google Code-in (GCI) and Google Season of Docs
(GSoD). Each of these presented what happened in the 2019/2020 edition of these
activities as they are key to attract students to open source development and
also technical writers. Lastly, an update was provided on the archival of over
1000 photos from past events that is currently on Flicker and the recent
discovery of the MOSS repo that is fundamental in various of our projects.

To end the day, the 2020 Sol Katz
Award<https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/anita-graser-receives-the-2020-sol-katz-award/>
 that is awarded annually to individuals who have demonstrated leadership in
the community was awarded to Anita Graser. Anita Graser is a spatial data
scientist and an open source GIS advocate. She is doing mobility research. She
is encouraging people to get involved through social media, blog posts,
presentations, podcasts & courses at university.

Thank you to all that contributed or participated in the 2020 AGM and OSGeo.