Dear all,

if you never heard of the Fediverse, or if not sure what it is, there are a few
links to introductory videos at the end of this message.

I would like to open the discussion on how to create an OSGeo presence in the
Fediverse. The reasoning is simple: it should be possible to follow the
Foundation's activities with modern web technologies without relying on
corporate (and closed) tools.

I see three possible paths towards this end:

1. OSGeo mirror account - this is the lightest weight option adding, virtually
no overhead to current activities. An OSGeo account at an instance such as
FOSStodon would simply mirror whatever is published in corporate social media.

2. Simple instance - an instance set up on the existing infrastructure would
host accounts for the Foundation, accredited projects and eventually the
chapters. This option requires the extra work of setting up and maintaining a
Fediverse instance.

3. Full-fledged instance - something like foss4g.social would be awesome,
providing a home to any members, projects and chapters wishing to join the
Fediverse. This option would greatly facilitate the integration of folks that
are new to the technology, easily leading to a new, active community. Such an
instance would not only require maintenance overhead, but also moderation.
Voluntary would be in order.

Please let me know what you think and whether you would like to be involved in
setting up a Fediverse instance. The goal is to a eventually submit a concrete
proposal to the board.

Thank you.

Introduction to the Fediverse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S57uhCQBEk0

Longer overview of Mastodon (micro-blogging in the Fediverse):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9L1pAlW96M

Growing list of OSGeo members and Geo-folk in the Fediverse:
https://mastodon.social/@delawen/108131253406950436

--
Luís

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) secure email.