Dear OSGeo Community,

We trust you are all doing well and we wish you a happy new year, full of
happiness, peace, and power to achieve whatever you plan.

Let us take a moment to reflect on the last year and congratulate ourselves
for the amazing work we accomplished as a community.

After a 2-year break, our community enjoyed a successful FOSS4G 2022 in
Florence, Italy. A big shout out to the FOSS4G 2022  LOC (local organizing
committee) for their immense hard work.

Now, we are excited to support FOSS4G 2023 [1] which will take place in
Prizren, Kosovo. We wish the best to the LOC, the FLOSSK in their work and
echo they have our full support.

It is extremely satisfying to see that our community is expanding. This
year, we had 37 new members joining as Charter Members [2]. A warm welcome
to all and we look forward to your continued contributions in 2023. OSGeo’s
official Telegram channel [3] was reactivated just after FOSS4G 2022 for
enhancing connectivity. It is also bridged via OSGeo’s matrix - so you can
communicate with everyone if you want to use IRC, Element, or a matrix
client of your choice [4] - as well as the Telegram client. Please join in
if you haven’t already (https://t.me/+CPX1K4L0uuY0MDA0). 😀

The board elections were also conducted successfully with Ariel Anthieni
joining the board and replacing Dr. Michele Tobias who decided to not run
again. We thank Dr. Michele Tobias for her timely and productive
contributions to the Board. The new board [5] convenes for the first time
in  January 2023.

With the intention of being closer to the community, in 2022 the OSGeo
Board started to send a succinct summary of meetings. We hope that in the
rush of every day’s work, the community members can find out in a 3 min
read what the board has been up to. For a more direct line, the meetings
are held on an open platform and are open for public participation. The
meeting minutes for the last meeting can be found at [6].

In 2022, we progressed with starting and concluding various initiatives and
signing new MoUs. This truly strengthens our community, so we plan to keep
it up in the year to come!

In name of the whole board, I wish you all the best for 2023!

Cheers,

Rajat

[1] https://2023.foss4g.org/

[2]
https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/welcoming-our-new-osgeo-charter-members-2022/

[3] https://t.me/OSGeoorg

[4] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Matrix

[5] https://www.osgeo.org/about/board/

[6] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2022-12-29

--

Rajat Shinde

Vice President - Board of Directors <https://www.osgeo.org/about/board/>

Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo).

http://home.iitb.ac.in/~rajatshinde