You're not copying the whole collection across each week are you? Just syncing the two? (rsync or something else...) It should only take a few hours the first time, after that it'll depend on how much has changed but I'd be surprised if it took more than a few minutes.

Chris

Carl Maskelyne wrote:

I have 40k at MP3 128-320kbs very quick on iTunes (1 hr scan). Slim server takes 1 1/2 hrs to scan.

Backup solution – firewire drive that I copy to once a week and take into the office to use there.

The copying of this much data will take a good few hours but this solution work quite well.

Make sure you have an SATA drive or SCSI on IDE you could multiply the iTune times by a factor of 2-4.

Re DVD – guess it depends if he wants the convenience of all the music easily accessible in one place or the quality and cost.

If money is no object a big box with loads of scsi drives and lossless compression would be the best solution.

Regards,

Carl Maskelyne**

PaperPak Systems IT Manager

Mobile Telephone : 07971 659494

Attends website : www.attends.co.uk

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. The information contained in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed. Emails sent from PaperPak that contain commercially sensitive data should not be disclosed to third parties that may benefit from this knowledge. This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving PaperPak however the company will not be liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.