Quoting Phil Karn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> momerath wrote:
>
> > Phil is absolutely correct that the burden of proof is on the
> > audiophile, and that a double blind study is the only practical way to
> > prove the audibility of jitter.  I intend to do this in the near
> > future with some skeptical friends.
>
> By all means, if you can run a controlled test, then do it!

just dont' fake it.  I will not fall into this dispute, save to mention that I
recently attended a seminar to help with high speed data, and the speaker
actually presented a demo on jitter, trying to show how a certain IC managed it
well....

I did not return after lunch, as I noticed that the example trace was being
triggered on the edge displayed. The only time I have encoutered a case where I
might actually care specifically acout jitter in my designs...despite many
demands  on the reps to produce real data...all I got was crap, including
admissions that their own spec was not met by any crystal that they could find
( in this case, it was Texas Instruments).  Their (preliminary only)
application note resorted to specifying test cases, even though they did not
actualy meet the officially supported spec given for the IC.

since then, I've come to learn that even 1Gb is considered slow speed and
pointless for sweating details on anyting but HUGE backplanes.

having said that, I'll never put my career against what can be picked up by ear.
 My field is visual, and I know that there are amazing things that you can pick
up by eye that NO analyser will find. I have no reason to believe that audio is
any different.

keep up the discussion/argument as you will.  the end result will be interesting
:)

-kdf