Andrew Lucas wrote:
Mike,

This clock imprecision is indeed a known and documented issue. Squeezebox1 uses a "black box" DSP processor from a third-party supplier. It is a great mp3 decoder and has a lot of good features, but it also has a couple of irritating limitations like this that power users might encounter.
While this off-the-shelf DSP was immensely helpful in getting us to market, unfortunately we have limited access to its internal workings, and next-to-zero support from the supplier, so this s/pdif issue has remained open for a long time.

Ideally what I'd like to have is separate, dedicated, high-precision crystal clocks to generate the DAC's clocks and the s/pdif carriers directly (no PLL), plus full software control of the s/pdif data and framing. This would yield VERY precise s/pdif clocks, eliminate the possibility of certain nearly-impossible-to-fix bugs, and ensure that we can reliably deliver bit-perfect streams for DTS and such.

Sean

Squeezebox1 huh?  When will we hear more about Squeezebox2?

;)

Looks like the cat (pony?) is out of the bag.

The uncompressed support, spdif out was a key selling point to me when I
bought my four squeeze's...I have 3 of them on external DAC's.

So hopefully Slimdevices will provide an upgrade path here so this
investment continues to be of value to me.
Knowing now these are fundamentally flawed will irritate rather a lot...

I would be ok though with a hardware mod, external box or something if that
feasible as long as it wasn't too compromised either by performance or
price..

a) but do they work for you as is? In other words, everything is more or less fundamentally flawed... it's a fact of life as far as material possessions may be considered. The question at hand is whether the flaws are outside of your daily experience; if they're not, you've clearly got reason to be upset. If they are, and this message from Sean is the first time you've had occasion to think "this doesn't sound as good as my other audio gear", then that's another matter.

b) it's called sell your old players -- there are lots of people like me out there with tin ears :)

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!