I've just downloaded SlimServer_v6.0b1.tar.gz (SlimServer_v2005-03-08)
from the website, and have unpacked it on my gentoo box. I then created
a slimserver user, who now owns the slimserver tree, and attempted to
start the perl script (./slimserver.pl --daemon).

Initially, there were error messages pointing to various perl modules
which were missing/outdated (DBI,Compress:Zlib), which I was able to
fix.

Now I receive the following error:

$./slimserver.pl --audiodir /media/audio --daemon --stdio --logfile
/tmp/slim.log

Use of uninitialized value in -e at
/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Prefs.pm line 119.
Use of uninitialized value in -d at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/File/Path.pm
line 153.
fileparse(): need a valid pathname at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/File/Path.pm
line 154
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Buttons/Plugins.pm line 20.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Buttons/Plugins.pm line 20.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Buttons/Common.pm line 15.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Buttons/Common.pm line 15.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Buttons/Settings.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Buttons/Settings.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Display/Display.pm line 14.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Display/Display.pm line 14.
Compilation failed in require at ./slimserver.pl line 192.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./slimserver.pl line 192.
google, but neither have turned up common problem or pointed to a
solution.

I do imagine that this is a case of my having missed something (possibly
even something embarrassingly obvious ;), or my environment being
otherwise not entirely what slimserver is expecting, but I'm quite stumped.

I wondered if there was any documention that I was missing, which covered
in more detail what slimserver needed to run (I.e., something beyond
the Linux Install Guide), that I could use to begin troubleshooing this.

Of course, if anyone happened to recognize the problem, a point in the
right direction would also be greatly appreciated :)

$perl -v
This is perl, v5.8.5 built for i686-linux

Steph

--
BOFH Excuse #131: