I'm using the script called crip:

http://bach.dynet.com/crip/

"crip is a terminal-based ripper/encoder/tagger tool for creating Ogg
Vorbis/FLAC/MP3 files under UNIX/Linux. It is well-suited for anyone
(especially the perfectionist) who seeks to make a lot of files from CDs
and have them all properly labeled and professional-quality with a minimum
of hassle and yet still have flexibility and full control over everything.
Current versions of crip only support Ogg Vorbis and FLAC."

I find it a good mix of manual and automatic -- I can easily correct tags
when I want to and accept what it finds if I like that.

--John