Phil, you CERTAINLY have enough hardware for this!

I'm running 5.4.0 and 5.4.1 just fine on much less hardware. No
hiccups, no crashes, it's the family music system. Just runs, like I
would expect for HiFi gear.

I suggest a test... Take one of your old machine, do a straight-up
default linux installation and put a few hundred songs on it.  I don't
know if it's your mixed drive types, the RAID, or the "no-VM" that's
causing the problem, but it's something that's causing the problems.
Or, post some logs here.

It IS frustrating when things don't work.

  -- Sally

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:19:20 -0800, Phil Karn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 5.4.0 does usually stay up for a day or two, and as long as I don't try
> to add stuff to the database it usually works modulo occasional, long
> and unexpected pauses in responding to even trivial commands from the
> remote control or the web interface, and unexplained and sometimes long
> interruptions while playing back FLAC files over a 100 Mb/s wired
> connection.

> This is an otherwise solidly reliable 4U rackmount 3.2 GHz Pentium 4
> running Linux 2.6.11, with 2 GB of ECC memory and 2.3 TB of EIDE and
> SATA disk storage organized into RAID-1 and RAID-5 arrays. With that
> much memory, I don't bother with a swap partition, so VM thrashing is
> not a problem. The Antec box is loaded with big cooling fans, and
> internal temperatures are well controlled.

Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -or- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(was [EMAIL PROTECTED])