"I used MusicMatch to rip all the songs. I have read that there are
better tools for the job and frankly I wish I could remember which ones
were recommended. Any suggestions?"

If you're on windows, EAC.  There is some help on configuring it on the
web (search this forum), so don't give up if it looks too complicated.
It rips and then you'd use LAME to compress to MP3.  EAC is usually
setup to call LAME automatically.

"I also seem to remember that ripping from a particular cd drive
wouldn't take care of the problem, but once I switched to my other
drive, the songs were better.
Does it make sense that the cd drive would make a difference?"

Yes.  Audio CDs don't have all the redundancy and protection that Data
CDs do, so if your CD drive's a bit dodgy, and your ripping software
doesn't double or treble check everything (as EAC does), you could
certainly get inferiors results.

--
Patrick Dixon