Following on from this:

Which *nix would be a good choice for a standalone (slimserver) server?
The only one I'm (slightly) familiar with is FC, but quite a few people
seem to be running FreeBSD.

I'm assuming the server doesn't need to run X and would be remotely
administered using ssh; would it be better to transfer music across via
ftp (or something), rather than using samba and all it's associated
hassle?

I really want to setup a system where *anyone* can rip and play a CD,
so I need to make the thing work as simply and reliably as possible.
Load CD - press button - wait for eject - done, would be ideal.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

--
Patrick Dixon