> I believe the vast majority of people with broadband connections do
> NOT want to have a home server running 24x7. There is also a huge
> trend towards households having just a wireless network and one or
> two laptops - not a convenient setup for serving music all the time.

I'd have to agree. At the moment I use my 24/7 server as file server,
slimserver, nntp server, smtp server and network backup device and
printing server. It's absolutely essential to the operation of this
household.
BUT it will probably be possible to fulfill most of these functions on
seperate inexpensive commodity devices. After all, I could buy a
printer with ethernet / wireless bult-in. I could move my data to a
successor of a TeraStation that doesn't suck. Running your own mail
and web server is a geek's pastime with decent hosting becoming
available. And who needs newsgroups, that's so 90s ... We're not quite
there yet, but we might be soon.

And I'm perfectly happy with anything that makes the sb more
attractive to the "we use our computer twice a week to check e-mail"
crowd - as long as I can keep my geek toy :))

C.