>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/05/05 11:41 AM >>>

<snip on the average thing - seems we understand each other>

>  Well...what can I say to that...people have accidentally held
> down the skip track button to have it fast forward, and they
> would wonnder why the song sounds funny as it clicks, and
> pops forward through the song.  I've had questions about how
> to get back to the main menu to browse again...etc.   It's easy
> stuff to learn/remember, but questions, and honest mistakes that
> can be avoided with a few more buttons.

Ok, I see what you are saying...not that I agree, but I understand.
If anyone has listened to a digital track (or watched one for that
matter), they will know what that clicking and popping is immediately,

although there doesn't appear to be an easy way to stop it with the
SD remote.  Once you get to know the remote (mostly trial and
error), it is quite easy to stop (and resume normal playing).

> > My 5 year old uses the remote with no issues.  She doesn't even
> > ask how to find Cheeseburger in Paradise or Fins anymore.
>
> A kid with a fresh mind is one thing, but a technology-fearing wife
> is a whole other ball game.

Then get her to not fear technology.  It only took me about 3 months.
Now she can surf through listening to any Paris radio station through
shoutcast, or with a few clicks, over to listening to some classic
Polka
from our wedding cassettes (converted to mp3).

> > I'm not saying a better, more featureful remote wouldn't be a nice
> > option.  I'm just saying if all your going to do is use it to
program
> > another remote and put it away, it would seem there should be a
> > better way to accomplish the programming of the universal remote.
>
> To setup a universal remote properly, more often than not, you need
> to move the default buttons around, by learning/relearning buttons
> from the original remote.  If that's required...there's no way to
LEARN
> the "FAST FORWARD" command from the current SB remote....and if
> you don't have an original JVC DVD remote, you can't learn it from
> that either (and use the jvc codes instead).  It's kinda hard to
explain,
> but there is method to my madness on this one.

<tongue firmly planted in cheek>
If you have an inferior remote that you can't program with JP-1, then
yep, you are up the proverbial creek sans paddle.
</tongue>

Although the FF/RW is an almost commonplace modification.  It's like
that on a lot of mp3 portables to save space.