> the platinum case. The finish (to me)
> is a bit flat (it looks too much like a plastic box painted
> flat silver, which is what it is I
> suppose) and it seems to emphasise the 'radio alarm' look of
> the housing.

Looks like I made the right decision then. I got the black one as I had a
suspicion that the platinum might make the SB look even more like an early
eighties radio alarm. On the other hand my black case did degrade quickly
with the coating flaking off in bits.

> I suspect I may end up swapping the SB1 and SB2
> boxes over. Are there any differences internally to prevent
> me from doing this?

On my original SB I had to cut the plastic casing away from the digital out
(coax) socket so my cable could slide far enough onto the socket to make
secure connection. I was relieved to see that on the SB2 the digital out
coax socket stuck much further out of the casing, enabling the cable
connector to fit correctly without having to butcher the case.

> I'm sure there would be a market for a
> slightly more expensive model with a classier housing, but I
> appreciate that small companies are limited in what their
> design teams can take on.

Yes. I too would very much like a case that fitted in with the look of my
Naim gear a little more. I've been very impressed with a few of the DIY jobs
detailed on this list/forum.

> Set-up was painless and easy.

My wasn't painless but I succeeded in the end (with help from KDF and
Viddur, all hail them), even though it meant loosing my original
installation of AlienBBC.... :-(
The sound is definitely better, more punch it seems to me (infact I may stop
using my Perpetual Technologies DAC as I can't immediately tell the
difference in sound quality), the display is better, the news screen saver
is great (although I would like to be able to click to read the full
article, but minor concern really) and so far I have not noticed any drop
outs (even when using BitTorrent, the microwave or the wireless phone).
I've yet to be convinced that SS 6.*** is any better than 5.4.1 though, as
using the remote to browse music seems to stall the audio (which didn't
happen with 5.4.1) and I can't really see any improvement in speed of use
(or speed of scanning) so far (but I guess it's early days?). Oh, I use XP
and flac files.

Simon Turner
Barcombe UK