SadGamerGeek;330722 Wrote:
> To be honest, I don't know what decoder is being used for podcasts.... I
> have a standard install of 7.1 on Windows Server 2003 (Windows Home
> Server) with the addition of the latest AlienBBC and a lame
> executable.
>
> I guess my point is that I have a pretty vanilla install, so I have
> whatever decoder comes with that release, with no changes (unless the
> addition of AlienBBC / lame have affected things). If attempting to
> play a popular podcast on a stable, live release of SC is resulting in
> this issue, I thought it must be worthwhile to look into some way of
> preventing the problem, or at least warning the user of the potential
> problem.
>
> I'm not very familiar with Podcast related file formats, but after a
> bit more investigation, it looks like m4a files would normally be
> expected to contain more than just audio (else mp3 would probably have
> been used instead). So, I think it be true to say the following:
>
> >   >
  - The .m4a format is designed to carry more than just audio.
  > Therefore, where it is used, it is likely that the file will
  > contain additional, non-audio data.
  - SqueezeCenter will happily accept an XML file that links to .m4a
  > files as acceptable podcasts.
  - At least some .m4a files with extra information will produce
  > nothing but a very loud and unpleasant noise when they are played
  > via Squeezecenter. It therefore seems like the decoder in a
  > standard build is not configured to strip this information out.> >
>
> If there is some config file that needs a change to persuade the
> decoder to strip out non audio data, I'm happy to do that. It doesn't
> help anyone else who might hit this problem though, so I'm thinking it
> would be great if we could come up with a way to make this situation
> less likely to occur......

I had the same thing happen when I had tried to play an itunes drm file
that I had forgot was a drm file. I thought the program couldn't play
these and had left some in my library.  I was in folder view and had
the same thing happen and yes I think it could ruin speakers.  So I
agree there should be some sort of check or it shouldn't play at all
and maybe say invalid file type or something.

--
Nonreality

-IF THE RULE YOU FOLLOWED BROUGHT YOU TO THIS, OF WHAT USE IS THE RULE.-

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality