Yes...on all counts.

To use your server as a player, you can use something called
squeezeslave:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeSlave

This creates a player that can be controlled via the web interface (or
the controller).

You can also do remote streaming.  On the web page for you
squeezecenter, click on help on the bottom left pane.  You will see a
link there for remote streaming.  It will tell you all you need to
know.  To use it for local streaming (i.e. playing on your local
machine), just use the ip address of 127.0.0.1.

I use all of this functionality on a regular basis and I can say it
works very well.

Have fun!

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 1 duet, 1 receiver.  SuSE 10.2 Server running
SqueezeCenter 7.2, MusicIP, and SqueezeSlave
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior