I've also never had any luck with activities... I think the concept
would work if the real remote had single buttons for things, but when
it has say an "HDMI" button, that you use to cycle thru the 4 HDMI
ports on my TV it is constantly getting it wrong, or turning off the
TV or some nonsense. My original remote has no HDMI 1 button, so there
is no way activities would ever know what input the TV is on.

I got around the needing to be in the right context (say TV or Cable
box) to use the right volume etc, but using the IR learn function. I
taught it the the volume IR code for my cable box by using the TV's
original remote. That way no mater what context I am in the volume
controls the TV. I know their is supposed to be some other way, but I
gave up and did it the hard way after hours of futzing.

You can change what page things are on in the LCD, you can push them
up and down as needed so the important things are on the first page.