fattybacon: I understand what you mean; but I'm not sure it could make
sense from a commercial viewpoint.

To turn the SBR into a "SqueezeBoxServer" would almost certainly
require improvemnts to the processor/memory plus additional interfaces
for usb ports etc. etc which would price it above a mass-produced NAS.
And I'm sure it would take an enormous investment to create a user
interface which is less fiddly than current NAS offerings.

As mattybain points out; people can opt to use the Squeezenetwork with
no home server at all.

For those that want to play the music stored on external hard drives;
that you mention, they can easily get going using an existing PC to run
SC.  If they find themselves using it lots; they can create a dedicated
server using myriad NAS / Unix / Mac / PC options.

QNAP's NAS's and Ripserver come with SC installed; I think Logitech (or
anyone else) would struggle to beat those for price & convenience.

http://www.ripfactory.com/ripserver.html
http://www.qnap.com

Just my two cents.  Peter.

--