i have been doing this for over 5 years now with my KISS/Linksys
networked DVD player (it is an ancient DP500). it plays VOB just fine,
which allows you to simply rip the DVD "as is" to your NAS. the VOB
file simply shows up in the file menu and i press play.

however, i have decided to compress DVDs, because even a NAS will run
out space sometime! ;-)

i encode all my movies myself, using the XviD codec and 160kbit MP3.
but, as you said, i dont care about AC3/DTS, since i dont have a
surround system. but as is, the quality is excellent and almost
indistinguishable from the original DVD.

--
dcote