DeVerm;362891 Wrote:
> Well... I am confident you have it but it's invisible, you have just the
> regular UK 1-phase outlets in the house. But the cable coming into the
> house will most probably be 3-phase and enter a box that has 3 busbars,
> one for each phase. You will probably have multiple 16A breakers and if
> you have more than a couple, they will be spread over the 3 phases. So
> yes, you could make a true 3-phase power by running extension cords
> from different outlets in the house and just using the hot-wires from
> each. I shouldn't have told this... don't play with it if you're not
> sure what you are doing.
>
> Also, many homes in the UK will have electric stoves, ovens or
> waterheaters that use 3-phase power. When you call the electrician for
> making an outlet for them, he will open the box to the three busbars
> and pull the wiring from it, no need to dig up the cable...
>
> The reason they do the 3-phase is that the neighborhood-transformers
> are 3-phase and they want to balance the load not just over the
> neighborhood but within each house.
>
> cheers,
> Nick.

No I'm sorry but that isn't the case. You would be hard pushed to find
a 3 phase stove, oven or anything else for the home in the UK. The
incoming supply is normally single phase, I watched 2 guys rewiring my
entire home 6 months ago and it's not 3 phase, even on the supply side.
The local transformers probably are, but that's normally where it
stays.
In fact the electricians were telling me about a rich guy's home they
had just wired, which had so many downlights installed that the power
required was close to overloading the normal domestic supply. In that
particular case they were seriously considering going to 3 phase, but
that would have involved a new incoming cable from the supply company.

--
Lesu