pfarrell;372648 Wrote:
> Or better, get 3 drives. one live, one short term backup, and one long
> term off site backup. Automate the backup from live to short term.
>
> When you go visit your kids, or inlaws or parents, take the short term
> drive to their house. Put it in a closet. Install the other backup
> drive
> in your system, make backups to it.
>
> Visit the kinfolks periodically, swap drives.
>
> Now you are safe from flood, fire, earthquake, etc.

I keep my offsite backup drive locked in a desk drawer at work. That
way, I don't have to deal with the pesky relatives ;-)

By the way, I don't leave more than one of the backup drives mounted to
the local network for any length of time. I lived through the "I Love
You" virus of May 2000, which destroyed all JPG image files, MP3 audio
files, and MPEG video files on any mounted volumes accessible to an
infected computer. It was a close call that got me religion on backing
up. Your backups are not safe from accidental or intentional deletion
while they're on the network.

--
TiredLegs