Labarum;389593 Wrote:
> Depends on the cost of the speakers, and if the £30 Maplin speakers
> better the Boom output, I'm ahead. Best UK price for an SB3 seems here
> at the moment
>
> http://www.cooltopia.com/product.php/6/30
>
> SB3 £130  Maplin Speakers £30 Boom £170
>
> Portability might be a consideration, as noted higher up this thread.
>
> It would be for a third station. I have in the study a Quad 77
> Integrated Amp which drives a pair of Goodmans Maxims very nicely, and
> takes input from an Audigy card on the PC. The study audio is awaiting
> the addition of a Squeezebox when I move house and locate the server
> away from the desk.
>
> As I get older my high frequency hearing problems get worse and I am
> less tolerant or whiring, whining and clicking.

I think maybe you missed one of my points. That point being that to
equal the sound of the Boom, your going to end up spending two to three
times the Boom to get it with powered spearkers and a Classic. There is
NO WAY a pair of speakers costing L30 is going to sound anywhere near
what a Boom sounds like. As many have said, one must buy really decent
powered speakers to equal or surpass what you get in the Boom.

If you have some decent equipment that just needs a Classic and pair of
speakers, your still going to have to buy a decent pair probably costing
more then just buying a Boom.

Personally, the A2's are just below the Boom and cost more, one has to
get the more expensive A5's to exceed the Boom. The Boom's sound is
that good. But if money is that big of a deal, yes you can go cheap.
But in the end you would have been better off spending the few more
dollars and getting the Boom IMHO. YMMV.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5