JJP Wrote:

> It's annoying (makes me angry!) that the BBC still insists on using
> realplayer for audio when they do appear to have adopted a windows
> media format for some video.  I pay my licence fee for them to force me
> to install some bloated spyware realplayer trash.
> /rant

I agree.  The BBC have recently started trialing the same idea with
video - with "The Mighty Boosh".  However, I can't get it to work, and
the reason, as I put in my feedback form to them is the 3 letters of
media playback doom - R, A and M.  The self styled "Real" media player
is nothing but an advertising platform, that almost never works
properly or reliably.

It occurs to me that they may have chosen this format to prevent the
stream being saved.  This is, in my opinion, at best misguided, and
probably a little bit stupid, as the BBC *broadcast* this content free
to air in digital form.  I can save all the video and audio I want by
plucking the stream "out of the air" with a digital TV card.  In a far
superior format too - episodes of Top Gear for example, in the original
digital broadcast format are 1.7GB!

I reaslise they have to protect their markets overseas, but Realplayer
is not the answer.  I would have thought the potential revenues for
distributing shows over the 'net would justify some R&D into their own
solution.

Anyway - that's my rant for the day :p  I can confirm the exact same
smyptoms - almost like the individual chunks are beingplayed in
reverse.  Works fine on the archived audio.

--
Scooter