On Thursday 01 September 2005 09:32, Robin Bowes wrote:
> Robin Bowes wrote:
> > seanadams wrote:
> >> A fine idea - please file a request at bugs.slimdevices.com. It's
> >> something we'd need to do in firmware, right at the end of our audio
> >> process.
> >
> > Actually, you could do this on the server by piping the audio stream
> > through the appropriate processing program.
> >
> >> What kind of delay would you want? Obviously the delay and mix levels
> >> would be configurable but I'm guessing you'd want a range of 0 to
> >> 1000uS or so?
> >
> > There is a whole load of research on this, but I can't find the links
> > right now. I'll have a scout around.
> >
> >> Also isn't there another name for this besides "crossfeed" that
> >> wouldn't be confused with the crossfade feature?
> >
> > I'm sure the work to which I refer is called something other than
> > crossfeed. Again, I'll see what I can find.
>
> OK, I've not found the links I was looking for, but this technology is
> related to Head Related Transfer Functions (HRTFs).
>
> Somewhere I've seen a site that demonstrates a pseudo-HRTF, i.e. an
> artificial approximation and provides a couple of sample files
> illustrating the effect. If only I could find it ...

if what you are referring to is the cross-feeding stuff to make headphones
sound nicer, then HeadRoom has some docs here:
http://www.headphone.com/products/faqs/about-headroom-crossfeed/ but it
doesn't actually tell you exactly how to do it (obviously).

My iriver hd140 also includes something similar named SRS
(http://www.srslabs.com/) but it generally sounds horrible (to my ears).
However they have many demonstration files available
(http://www.srslabs.com/Demonstrations.asp) that I haven't had a chance to
listen to yet in a controlled environment.

Alex