I generally rip full CD's by a single artist, but like most I also have
mixed CD's.

I have run into the same problem, and I look at it this way:

Generally, I listen to music based on the artist, a particular CD from
an artist, a genre or a playlist.

I never play mixed CD's unless I want to hear a particular song (a rare
example maybe a soundtrack). So, since I never search for "these" CD's
by CD name, I enter that field as "sampler".

This way, I don't have endless pointless CD names in my list when
searching. I don't Care about playing a CD from front to back when it’s
from a sampler, only when it’s from an Artist. Sampler’s are just
someone else’s playlist. If I want a playlist, I create my own.

Hope this helps. I have 8000 songs from hundreds of CD’s and Vinyls I
own and find it very easy to search for everything I need.

--
Justme