aubuti;460790 Wrote:
> That's easy: whenever it takes less time to make a backup than it does
> for you to reproduce the data that will be lost when something happens.
> And something *always* happens. To take the most basic case, all hard
> drives eventually fail. Your time is valuable.
>
> Back everything up to an external USB drive. Even though it might take
> hours or days to backup a big library, it takes less than an hour of
> your time to start the backup going, and that includes the time it takes
> to buy the USB drive. Then store the drive somewhere else (I keep mine
> at work), and update the backups periodically as you add new albums or
> edit your tags. Maybe $100 for the drive and an hour of your time to
> protect tens or hundreds of hours spent ripping and tagging -- you do
> the math.
>
> The simple question is how much of your work (ie, time) are you willing
> to put at risk?

Absolutely. And most importantly, don't use RAID. One popped capacitor
in the NAS' power supply or dropping something on the case is all it
takes to take out both disks at once. It's NOT backup.

I too back up to a USB hard disk, then periodically take this to work
and run a backup to Ultrium tape, which I keep in my office. Do the
backup as you go - every time I add a new album, I FTP it to both disks.

--
amey01