iPhone's advice is sound. I didn't think for the future but I'm really
glad I happened on Squeezebox.

My requirements have changed and Squeezebox keeps meeting them

start: replace iPod plugged into stereo, with remote control and
visibility of now playing
then: multi-room synchronous playing
then: CD quality streaming
then: scrolling and selecting by albumart
next: different music in different rooms

Alongside this, other systems do the same things but do they acheive
the same quality? areas to consider are:-

file range: range of codecs supported
audio path: choice of DSP/DAC and amplifier/speakers (if fitted)
longevity: strength of brand and commitment and abilitt to add in x
years time.
flexibility, adaptability: frequency of software upgrades
community: alternate support and influence
source: bespoke server, web based or pc
music: your own and/or internet radio

Interestingly your links show a NAS and a streaming system - there is
no suggestion that the NAS could run the streaming software. Logitech
through the acquisition fo SlimDevices have years of experience in this
field supported by a large, active and vocal community. There are many
new entrants into this space, only time will tell how many the market
can support and how many will endure.

Research and then go for it - streaming has massively improved my
access to enjoyment of my collection.

--
DigitalMitch