The Transporter only accepts 2 channel PCM, not the 5.1 Dolby that TVs
and DVD players typically output by default. If you send it Dolby, all
you'll hear is a faint hiss and crackle. Some TVs (my Samsung, for
example) don't have an option to convert to linear PCM, but every DVD
player I've ever had does.

Set the DVD player to use "PCM", as distinct from "bitstream" or
"Dolby/DTS", and also set it to "downmix to stereo". Generally this is
not the default. Some even have the digital out disabled by default.

I use my Transporter's digital inputs with a DVD player and PVR so it
does work. It used to sometimes not, due to a firmware bug; you'd have
to cycle into standby to get it going sometimes. This was fixed last
year sometime, but my reading of the server release notes (the
Transporter firmware version, moronically, is linked to the server
version) is that the bug reappeared and has been squashed again. I'd try
updating the firmware before assuming there's any kind of hardware fault
- it looks like a very well built piece of equipment to me.

I bought my Transporter retail here in Australia, so Logitech must have
some kind of servicing  arrangements.

--
peachmelba