Hi,
Been reading various posts on vortexbox and SBS on NAS but it is still
not too clear to me which would be the best set-up for my own needs.

So far, the sbs is running on a sysnology ds 107+ (package not ssods),
feeding 2 sb v3 and a boom. performance from the players is ok, I
guess, except some rare glitches and the occasional slow responsiveness
of the units (especially with the boom), but something I can live with.
Where it becomes really annoyng is when I need to work on the server.
the web page takes ages to load and every action takes 5-10 seconds
before the web page is refreshed. took me almost a whole afternoon to
set up the display on the boom the way I wanted....
Another big disavantage is that synology takes its time before
releasing new packages, and you cannot update to the latest stable
build via the sbs interface. the same applies to plug-ins.

So I started looking around for alternatives like the vortexbox or the
sbs on the sheevaplug. Vortexbox seems the ideal candidate, thanks to
the ripping facilities, and the fact that I already have a spare
shuttle XPc which seems to be a good candidate for such a solution.

However, I really like the NAS idea of a central repository of all
family files, and in that respect, the 107+ works really well, so (if
it is possible), I would like to keep the actual music files in the NAS
which I am able to access from anywhere, even on my iphone, thanks to
the recent DS iphone apps, and I would not like the idea of fidling
with the vb to have the same kind of functionalities, not to mention
the hassle of reconfiguring all PCs (lost count I many we have in the
house).

-Is it difficult to configure both the vb and the nas to read and
stores files on the nas as opposed to the vb itself?
-Is it possible to keep the double saving mp3/flac when music is saved
in the nas as opposed to the vb internal hd?
-any performance issues when using the vb as a player as well? is it
going to congestionate the (100mb/sec) lan with the large files having
to go back and forward the lan?

In fact, will I see any performance increase over my current set-up?
the vb will be installed on an "old" 2GHz athlon shuttle pc.

Many thanks in advance,

Stefano

--
vernavideo