toby10;533258 Wrote:
> Correct, N still not needed.
> I can stream full WAV's to three wireless SB players using a G router
> without a hiccup.
>
> I think where N might be a benefit to G devices (like SB players) is if
> you have spotty G WiFi (interference, long distance to players, etc..).
> But if your G WiFi is strong and doesn't suffer from such issues then
> you would never know the difference between G or N.

The ability of .11n to work reliably over long distances and use
spatial diversity to overcome interference is a very material point.
Additionally, dual band operation provides a significant boost to the
number of free channels you can use to escape the overcrowded 2.4GHz
band. Consider how many posts have been made to this forum on issues of
drop-outs and stuttering that turned out to be wireless related.

In my opinion, .11n is not needed for speed but it is needed for
robustness.

Or, I should say use of .11n is -one- way to obtain robustness. Another
approach would be to use technologies like SMSC's KLEER or Sonos'
proprietary SonosNet, which use various technical approaches that are
better suited to the QoS requirements of an audio link than is standard
wireless LAN in an overcrowded ISM band.  I realize there are reasons
for being ideologically opposed to using proprietary networking.

These days, the best standardized technology for that would be
dual-band 802.11n with at least 2 spatial streams, even though it is
extreme overkill in terms of bandwidth for audio applications.
Fortunately, we get to reuse that network for many other things as well
(video streaming, downloading the latest Ubuntu 10.04 ISO images to our
laptops etc etc).

A final point on market adoption: 802.11n represented more than 19
percent of all WLAN access point shipments in the first three quarters
of 2009. Those early adopter geeks seem to have quite some purchasing
power...

http://www.abiresearch.com/press/1584-Consumer+802.11n+Wi-Fi+Access+Point+Shipments+Forecast+to+Exceed+32+Million+in+2010

--
dsdreamer