Mnyb;591337 Wrote:
> It helps having a router with for example Tomato software, the router
> interface can be accessed from the outside, I usually apply my
> portforwarding rules for a while then disable them afterwards. Also the
> server can be WOL from the router and I can turn it off afterwards.
>
> Spend to much time in boring hotels ( a lot of books helps too, not
> only music) Sometimes there is not much to or the weather is bad. 14
> days in Kiruna in February -32C(-25.6F) You don't go for a walk a very
> long time maybe 30min then you sort of numb
>
> My mp3/flac player is an old thing that cant take that much files but
> it is solid state no moving parts, use at the gym sometimes. My netbook
> has limited space.
>
> In the end I sometimes finds that I want to listen to something else
> then this is good :)
>
> But you don't do this for a weekend trip, more a kind of semi permanent
> hookup to your office or summerhouse or similar.
>
> Good improvement of the wiki !
>
> Hmm I thinking of hooking my old folks place to my server but thier isp
> might change ip to often (my isp has done it once in a year no big
> problem there)

Way Back When I had dynamic, I wrote a Java script that queried the
modem's settings page and sent me an email whenever the IP changed.
Just add cron or winders skedler.

I wikipediaed the Tomato firmware and agree facing the data closest to
the "real" world is a good idea but does this stuff run on DSL modems?
If not, what does it run on that replace a DSL modem?

pski

real stereo doesn't just wake the neighbors, it -enrages- them..