pfarrell Wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 17:49 -0700, alexir wrote:
> > That's why I hate hardware and love software :)
> > With software, I just go to settings and set the speed to 10.
> Problem
> > solved. With hardware I have to know what 568B means and how it is
> > different from 568A :)
>
> Nah, you just have to be consistent. The signals don't know
> what color the wire is. You can invent your own scheme as long
> as you do both ends. Might make a difference at way high
> speeds, and really long distances, but most of the time
> it isn't important.

The signals don't care what color the wire is, and most devices these
days don't even care about polarity, but they definitely care that each
signal is twisted with the right partner.

Ethernet depends on differential signalling to reject noise and
crosstalk. You need to pair 1&2, 3&6, 4&5, 7&8. If they're not paired
right, you can't count on it working even at 10Mbps and even with short
cables - I've seen it fail many a time when someone used a RJ45 phone
cord (CAT5, but paired differently) in place of an ethernet cord.

(actually 10/100 only uses pairs 1&2 and 3&6)

--
seanadams