I used mythtv for a really long time. In my opinion, it's a great app
for recording TV, but a not-so-great app for displaying a large video
library, and a poor choice if you're interested in streaming audio.

Just like squeezebox server deals with between local music collections
and online music streaming services (via mysqueezebox.com), I see the
same trends happening in video -- new users are being pushed to
streaming video sites - this pretty much means Hulu or Netflix. Other
sites are selling video downloads mixed with streaming in a totally
closed ecosystem - notably Apple. And lastly, you have everyone with
their existing video content who want to be able to continue to easily
access and play it.

For the last category, access to local video content, I have to say
that I've been using xbmc exclusively for viewing my local video files
for the last few months and it's quite versatile. If you haven't used
release 10 of XBMC or looked at it in the last year, you should
definitely do so (just make sure you're on a powerful computer with
accelerated graphics)

xbmc has a lot of plugins, but the plugins are more of an addon to the
ability to navigate and view videos, photos, and music. They feel like
bolt-ons.

boxee is attempting to integrate all content from a wide variety of 3rd
party sources and local content so that the user can search for TV shows
or movies, and not need to worry about WHERE / WHAT SITE is hosting that
content until the end user makes the final decision to start streaming.
Boxee is also integrating PAID content like netflix, etc.

I think the squeezebox server / MySqueezebox.com duo could learn a lot
by looking at how boxee integrates content from extremely diverse
sources into a user-focused UI instead of separating everything by
SERVICE.

Google TV on the other hand is something more like an upgraded cable
box/dvr with functionality like the XBMC video service plugins added
in, but it doesn't the holistic view of available content that boxee
has.

-Ross

--
rcampbel3