Quoting "Craig, James (IT)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Actually I was talking nonsense there.
It has been remarked in the past that the non-compiled version of SS
runs faster on Windows than the compiled/.exe version.
Nothing to do with the service - and no-one's ever been able to back
that up with facts though!

count me in on that one.  Strictly subjective. The only thing close to 'proof'
was a difference in overall scanning time.  I'm not sure how much difference
there would be now, given that scanning is currently much faster than when I
last ran the EXE (pre-slimtray). Profiling only showed that I must be crazy. Even then, I still felt like the remote response was slower. It is, however,
difficult to completely remove all variables when comparing. The host pc was
also a bit underpowered.
-kdf