JeffNK;632746 Wrote:
> I would like to confirm with forum members an issue I am facing.
>
> I have an SB Touch operating wirelessly in my audio system connected to
> a HDD.  Also operating wirelessly elsewhere in the house I have a Boom
> and a SB3.  As a trial I put some Apple Lossless music files on the HDD
> and played them through the Touch.  However when I tried to play them
> through the Boom and SB3 it did not work.
>
> I don't run Squeezebox Server continually only when required.  I
> suspect this did not work because the SB3 and Boom do not recognise the
> native Apple files and they require transcoding which in most systems
> would be using the SB server.
>
> Am I right about this or should I expect the arrangement to work?  I
> chose Apple Lossless because I also wanted to put some of the files on
> my iPod.  But I may have to choose some other lossless format.
>
> Would a Duet or another Touch work in this situation if I replaced the
> SB3 with one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

not 100% sure, but I think that the boom and duet and sb3 won't play
apple lossless unless played through the SqueezeboxServer (i.e., can't
handle these files natively). I believe the TOUCH can handle natively.
Of course all the players are really optimized for FLAC lossless files.
I use FLAC for my SB players and have a mirror directory of these as
mp3 files for use with my ipods/iphones. My use of ipods/iphones (car,
airplanes, etc.) doesn't warrant lossless files. And keeping my 60,000+
track library synchronized between lossy and lossless libraries is very
simple and requires only a few mouse clicks once setup and organized.
(I use dbpoweramp for conversion of FLAC tracks to mp3 tracks).

--
garym