Juggler;637437 Wrote:

> Understood the points on 802.11n and GigE being too expensive... but
> what would fit my bill exactly as a reasonably priced (not cheap),
> headless audio player that I could use in each of my rooms with
> speakers.

If you want high quality, just get a Touch or a used Classic.
You can put a cloth on top of it if you don't want to see the screen.
:-)
Both works perfectly to control with a Android or iOS smartphone.

If you are satisfied with good audio quality, there are probably more
choices out there but I don't have any personal experience of these.

Juggler;637437 Wrote:

> No point including a screen; everyone is married to their smartphone
> anyway.

Actually, there is a point, there are several points:
1.
It's a lot harder to troubleshoot a device without a screen and more or
less 100% of the sold Squeezeboxes needs troubleshooting at least one
time during their life time. I hate the Duet for this specific reason,
it just shows what's going on with it's LED and I have to turn to
Google to see what it means.

2.
It makes it different than anything else out there. A display visible
from 10-15 feets in the middle of the room means that everyone can see
what's playing not just the person holding the smartphone. For me the
display is a lot more about showing what's playing than controlling the
device.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))