I've experienced this twice, maybe three times, on my Squeezebox 3.

Each time it happened while I was listening to the radio. It just
happened, no reason. It is -*very jarring,*- to say the least. For this
reason, I try to keep my Squeezebox volume in the 80% range  ‒ to
limit speaker damage if it flakes out again. A little disturbing,
knowing it can happen.

Each time I had to unplug my Squeezebox and reboot. I did not have to
do the extra step Toby mentions. It good to know about that anyway.

A simple power off via remote never fixed it either.

--
Danny8

Heh, heh. It said: # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE.