No, I am using Squeeze Commander.  As you requested I tried controlling
from the web also, would not do anything.  If I press the hard keys for
volume, it will increase, but will usually decrease the volume shortly
after.

I tried the regular music player and it was doing the same thing.  I
would turn it up and it would automatically turn down shortly
thereafter.  Now I thought that maybe it wasn't just squeezeplayer.
Just to be sure I force closed squeezeplayer and tried the regular
music player again.  Now the problem is gone.  I started squeezeplayer
one more time and the problem is back.

--
tpchristian