myvinyl333;650190 Wrote:
> I am considering  replacing my SB3 classic with a Touch.
> Cons: have read here that there is a visual issue as compared to the
> font on the SB3 and the ir remote is very basic.
> Pro: I like the addition of adding a USB HD on the Touch and a color
> screen. Album art
>
> Thoughts and suggestions?
> Thanks,
> jorge

I just went through the same question. I had two SB3s, and one of them
died. I was considering getting a new SB Classic as a few places still
sell them. I decided to go with the Touch, and am a little unsure that
I made the correct decision. Here are some things that bother me:

1-The display is smaller and more sensitive to glare on the touch. From
my listening position, which is about 12 feet away from the touch it is
nearly impossible for me to read. I am using the built in functionality
to make the font bigger when using the remote, but it is still too
small. I haven't yet tried to use plug-ins to enhance this. Cover art
is also pretty small, unless you are close to the Touch.
2-The Touch doesn't support being used as a wireless gateway, and
probably never will due to hardware limitations. I used the SB3 as a
wireless gateway and connected my blu-ray player to it. Now I will
probably add an airport express in my entertainment center to provide
this functionality.
3-The Touch doesn't support an IR blaster. I use an IR blaster with my
bedroom system to control the receiver and it makes for a nice single
remote solution. I was contemplating adding this functionality in my
home-theater system where the Touch is installed, but now will not be
able to. This isn't of major importance to me, since I use a Harmony
remote with that system, but it would be nice to be able to use iPeng
outdoors, and have the IR blaster automatically control the receiver
for me.
4-The built-in analog VU meters on the SB3 are way cooler than the
analog VU meters on the Touch

I did some brief non-blind a/b testing and didn't hear a big difference
in sound quality between the Touch and the SB3. That's probably because
I didn't spend enough time testing or because my equipment/ears aren't
good enough.

In the Touch's favor, it is at least a current product so your chances
of getting good support or repair may be better. I do like the Touch a
lot, and think that you probably can't go wrong either way. At this
point, I don't care about ever using the built-in server capability of
the touch so that's a wash for me.

HTH
George

--