Hi All,
I've done some searching on this, and don't seem to see my exact
scenario listed anywhere in my search results. I am a very happy
Squeezebox user with a Slim Devices SB3, a Radio, and a Squeezebox
Touch. My music is in FLAC format stored on a local hard drive in a
Windows machine. Squeezebox server is running in a Debian Virtual
Machine running on the same Windows machine.

I've recently upgraded my home office system with AudioEngine A5
speakers and a Velodyne SPL800 subwoofer. I have the headphone output
of my Macbook Pro connected to the line in on the sub, then line out on
sub to line in on The AudioEngines. The subwoofer level is balanced
using test tones and a Radio Shack SPL meter. I'm very pleased with the
results of this setup.

I also have iPeng with playback enabled. Last night I started
experimenting with using AirPlay from iPeng to an Airport Express
plugged in to the AudioEngine speakers.

Because of the way my subwoofer is wired, I had to disconnect the
connection from my computer and plug it in to the Airport Express. Now
I can use iPeng and AirPlay to stream lossless audio from my Squeezebox
Server to my speakers via the airport express, and the sound is amazing.

Instead of switching the cable or adding some sort of pre-amp, just to
swtich sources, I want to be able to wirelessly stream music from my
Macbook Pro to the airport express. I can do this from iTunes as it has
airplay support built in, but I want to be able to do it from other
parts of the Mac, such as spotify or a web browser. Maybe even
Softsqueeze. I've been using the trial version of Airfoil, and it seems
to work really well, but before I spend the $25 to license it, I'm
wondering if there are better alternatives specifically for streaming
from the computer to the Airport Express. Also, if you've tried this or
are doing it, I'd love to hear your experience.

I know that buying another squeezebox touch would give me an
independent audio source from the computer, but I believe there would
still be times when I want to play computer audio through my speaker
setup, so this option seems to present the most flexibility.

Thanks!
George

--
gdpeck