I've been playing with some numbers to see what streaming uses, in terms
of monthly usage.  If anyone's interested, I've created a small
spreadsheet which gives a rough idea of how much of a monthly limit
regular streaming might use.

Actually, I got a bit of a shock.  Even only streaming 4 hours a day,
at 128k, would use approximately 8GB per month.  That is a significant
proportion of a 10GB service, for example (and I'd previously measured
some web browsing at around 1GB per month, per person, so 10GB doesn't
go far, really), and certainly exceeds a typical 3G/mobile service
contract such as I've variously seen at 1GB or 3GB monthly.

I've attached the spreadsheet; there are two versions in the zip, one
is LibreOffice compatible (.ods) and the other is Excel compatible
(.xls).

3G/mobile carriers include 'upstream' traffic in the loading
calculation, and so do some (not all) fixed-line providers, so there is
a facility in the sheet to select whether upstream loading should be
Included, or Excluded.  Other inputs (all the inputs are shaded 'blue')
are available for stream rate, and (average) hours per day of streaming.
There are a couple of other assumptions for the IP overhead (I've set
this to 15% but you can change it) and for the upstream loading (which
I set to 5% but, again, you can change it).

And any corrections would be very welcome, by the way.

regards, Atlantic

|Filename: StreamingCapsV1.zip                                      |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12404|

Atlantic