manatlan;652946 Wrote:
> In all big communities (minecraft, python, ...), there is always, at
> least, one website/blogs which keep  people in touch, by posting news
> about the object ...
> (example : "SBS 7.6.1 was released yesterday", "erland has released a
> wonderful applet", "the future SBS 8 : the features", "logitech is
> working on sb-radio2", ...)
>
> I know that vbulletin can produce RSS feeds. But a forum or a wiki, by
> nature, is not done for that. Following twitter is, afaik, the best
> option. But a big community should have its own news information
> websites ... no ?
> I haven't found it, perhaps it doesn't exist, perhaps it's time to
> start it ?!

Setting up a blog would be easy, the question is just if it will
improve things or make the community more scattered. I do agree that
sometimes it would be good to be able to filter out all "My system
doesn't work" posts and just see the various announcement threads from
Logitech, third party developers and from the hardware and DIY forum.

If there are more people feeling this is a good idea, we could probably
create something together where multiple experienced community members
helps to post news and articles. Anyone interested in contributing ?

I personally think that something that's very important to make this
work is to do it as a community and not base it on that a single
individual should do all the work. Still, I'm a little bit skeptical
regarding activities which draws people away from this forum as the
strength of this forum really is all the experienced people hanging
around and helping other users.

manatlan;652946 Wrote:

> Perhaps a "big big fan" posts news about sb's world on its personnal
> website ?

Actually there is, FredFredrickson did exactly this some time ago:
http://sb.cnhpa.com/

The problem is just that it won't work when one person do it because
then the news are written with the perspective of a single person
instead of the community as a whole.

Logitech can't do it because except from the few Logitech developers
still here, Logitech have lost all interest in this community, the main
reason this forum and wiki still exists is because of the Logitech
developers hanging around.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))