results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=86053
Question: Would you buy a home integrated Squeezebox car appliance

- Yes
- No

Objective:
----
Have the complete music library of ~180 GB in the car without moving
and syncing an external disk manually. Control music by iPeng.

On board PC:
----
There are car barebones with WLAN around i.e.
http://www.ac-services.eu/shop/index.php?cat=c37_Auto-PC.html (there
are many others). But th effort in setting it up with a SBS and
creating a syncjob to sync with the music library on the NAS was too
much labor for now. On top the car built in screen isn't a touchscreen,
difficult to use anyway. Therefore a WLAN router would be needed in the
car to control a player by iPeng.

+ if you have modern screen(s) and even want to show in the back
videos... the battery is your limit ;-)
- much work

Squeezebox Touch with SD Card
----
Works really fine, not to say amazing. The SD card in Touch can be
accessed by a network share over WLAN. You find other threads here how
to connect the Touch to the on board 12 V
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=560413&postcount=5.
Connect it to switched supply which is on the first key turn, to really
switch off the Touch when pulling the key. The sync job runs on the QNAP
NAS, which I could refine to run every hour, but first check if the
share is there.

+ not much work, anybody can touch the Touch
- a SD card with 64 GB and more is very costly. My car don't have the
ideal spot to place the Touch on the centre console. But when I get a
128 GB SD card for EUR ~250.- I will go that way. Control via Touch is
not as smart as with iPeng.

Use Smart Phone or Tablet
----
Currently I stick to my iPhone where I sync a reduced set of 22 GB. If
there would be an iPad with 128 GB why not stick to this approach. I
used a small iPhone charging  station with a line-out mounted with hook
and loop fastener on the centre console.

+ I anyway sync my music to the smart phone or tablet, control with
iPod is nearly as good as with iPeng. If I leave the car there is
nothing to steal.
- Yet not enough storage space available on smart phones or tablets,
maybe in year. If a call comes or other things to be looked up as maps
it's less comfortable to handle.

Other Findings on Aux-In:
----
For a good sound quality it must by a line-in, and not blue tooth,
radio or tape solutions.

In my case it's astounding that a BMW board entertainment system
factory built in in 2003 doesn't has an aux-in; or after 2003 you need
a special contact to activate the aux-in, which normally only the
professional car dealer has.

I tried two smart kits (so called iPhone adapters) to make my on board
entertainment system work with external aux sources. Control of the
iPod on the iPhone by the on board screen and button was useless; this
may work when you have 50 tracks. You need the iPone, but some adapters
even disable iPod control on the iPhone itself when connected. I
returned those kits. I simply welded a line to the CD changer line-in
using a line switch. Material costs EUR 20.- and not 200.-.

If my car breaks I will only then get a new one with state of the art
touchscreen, blue tooth and more ;-)

--
Metazargo

Music Management: Media Monkey 3.2.4.1304
Music Playing: Squeezebox Server 7.5.3R2 31792 (SqueezeboxServer QPKG
with SSOTS); Squeezebox Touch, -Radio, -Controller, -Receiver;
SoftSqueeze; iPeng on iPhone
Music Store: QNAP TS-259 Pro with Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
WD2001FASS in Raid 1 Ext3