pcourtney;657984 Wrote:
> 2 reasons, one because we can, a fast ethernet network should be able to
> handle this, no other users or computers, just my iPad, and 10
> receivers, if SBS cannot handle it, then I reckon SBS has much bigger
> problems with the whole architecture of how it's been coded in the
> first place,
>
> and two because the 1gb USB drive he has given me to look at is chock
> full of wav files, a lot these are old vinyl LP's that have been ripped
> to a hard drive using the clever little USB PhonoPlus
>
> http://solodeals.com/USB-PhonoPlus-V2-ARTcessory/M/B000BBGCCI.htm
>
> and all the cracks, pops and noise removed, along with replaygain etc
> apparently is was a labour of love that took him over a year to do 500
> albums.
>
> http://gnormalize.sourceforge.net/
>
> I have now bought one of these USB PhonoPlus jobbies to rip some of my
> old vinyl, but I don't think I will be taking as much care, just nice
> to have them on the NAS for a rainy day :-)

The default behaviour of SBS is to stream WAV files on disk as FLAC
over the network (with a single conversion at the server end if all
players are synched)... unless you manually change this. I was simply
asking why you would change this to stream 10 lots of WAV over the
network instead of 10 lots of FLAC - you seem to be going to some
trouble for zero benefit (and potentially network bandwidth issues,
although that may not affect you).
The format of the files on disk is irrelevant.
SBS can handle it fine, but many peoples networks (maybe not yours)
could have an issue.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.