Lefatshe;421349 Wrote:

> My office is "upgrading" and restricting the software installed on our
> soon-to-arrive new computers -- for security.  So no more Foobar2000 to
> listen to my music.  Any suggestions on how to listen to my 12,000 FLAC
> files at work without being able to add additional software?
> "Portable applications" are your answer.

These are applications that you can install on a USB thumb drive and
can be used on *any* PC that you care to plug the drive into.

You are in luck.  Foorbar can be installed in "portable mode" already.
It is just a selection you can make during installation.
http://www.foobar2000.org/?page=ReleaseNotes&version=096

Otherwise there are several other portable media players available
through the "portable apps" web site, as well as lots of other useful
stuff:
http://portableapps.com

and in particular here:

http://portableapps.com/apps/music_video

Get the fastest memory stick you can afford. Generally apps work a bit
slower off a stick than they do off the PC (particularly a slight lack
of responsiveness or lag) but still better than not having the app at
all.

Actually portable applications can usually be installed direct on a PC,
even if conventional installations are blocked.  This is because they do
not interfere with the Windows Registry.  However installing on a stick
leaves you less likely to be caught out by your employer's "application
police".

--
TheLastMan

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology DS107+ NAS (with firmware 2.3-1157) running
Squeezebox Server 7.5.1 on Synology Package Manager
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline.