Mnyb;668316 Wrote:
> Mp3 greyd out is lame installed ? What kind of server , bitrate limiting
> may be an option if you can make that work ? If the server has the cpu
> to run lame .

Mnyb

Oh, well done; I don't think LAME is installed.  It's a new server -
Debian 6 (Squeeze?) - and I haven't added the extra repositories
(forgot).  Thanks.

Mnyb;668316 Wrote:

> i think you actually get rather big files if converting some analog
> sources to 24 bit SN for vinyl for example is not great the majority of
> the signal will be random noise and random noise does not compress well,
> the file will not be that much smaller . 24 bit gives you 144dB Some
> vintage sources can be noisy so most of the signal content is noise.
> even using a perfect source at least the 3 - 4 of the bottom bits will
> be noise there are not much practical circutry that has more SN than 20
> bits aproximately .

Some seriously good points there, especially the inherent noise level
to be expected on older sources, and on consumer-grade equipment, and
the likelihood that the noise will occupy the lower bits and not be
compressible.  Good post.

Pski Wrote:

> You would have to be using the wifi version of cups and string for it
> to have trouble with the bandwidth you mention. What are the players'
> signal strength?

Hehe.  I think we are using wet string, because of the solid and thick
internal walls (very severe attenuation), and the multipath (I suspect
we're surviving on reflections).

The players are quite close to the repeater and showing 90% and 70%
reception (ie, from the repeater) but I'll check again when it next
happens.  The repeater doesn't report its own performance, though,
sadly.

Pski Wrote:

> Have you considered the possibility that the server's trans coding may
> be the bottle neck?

I will check this; it's a new D6 linux build doing nothing else than
SBS (at the moment) so shouldn't be stressed too much.  It is very much
worth checking, though, in case something is set up wrongly.  Do you
happen to know which log to check for this type of symptom?  I can do a
search, anyway.

Handy posts, both.  Regards, Atlantic

--
Atlantic