fuzzyT;668492 Wrote:
> Still gathering details.  Blog post here:

I tried it out last night.  I've had Rhapsody for some years, so that's
the comparison I have.  Main differences:

1.  The sound quality is supposed to be better, at 320kbps vs. 192kbps,
right?  I think it was, but it was subtle enough that I couldn't swear
that I'd pass a blind test.  Slight win MOG.

2.  The MOG Squeezebox UI is painfully bad compared to Rhapsody's.
There's no way to do arbitrary browsing through genres (Rhapsody's
genre browsing along with its key artists, top tracks, etc., make music
discovery really great).  Adding stuff to your favorites is only
possible on an album (never a track) level, and not even consistently
then.

2a.  Your favorites/library behaves really weirdly:  If you add an
entire album to it, when you go in to view individual tracks, you don't
see the songs from that album at all.  But on the other hand, if you add
an individual track from an album and go into the album view, you see
its album but clicking on it gives you ALL the songs from that album.
There's no way to see all the songs that you've chosen, and just the
songs that you've chosen.

3.  If you don't need mobile (phone) access, MOG is $5/month versus
Rhapsody's $10/month.  If you do want that, they're the same price at
$10/month.  (Rhapsody doesn't have a no-mobile plan.)

Upshot for me is that I'm cheap enough to probably go with MOG over
Rhapsody for half the price, but if you want to use the mobile
capabilities, Rhapsody is much better from a Squeezebox perspective, so
I'd recommend that.

--
mkozlows