This may be old news, but I have just noticed that following its
purchase by Rhapsody Napster will close in the UK, and presumably the
rest of Europe in mid March.

This appears to be a total shutdown. It looks like we will lose Napster
streaming on our Squeezeboxes, Napster libraries and any saved
playlists.

Not all Napster services will be automatically transferred to Rhapsody,
you may have to take out a new subscription to Rhapsody or other
streaming service depending on the contract you are on - see here:
http://www.napster.co.uk/customerinformation/

The Rhapsody music library is similar and mobile off-line facilities
will remain. However it might be worth going to Spotify rather than
Rhapsody depending on which suits your needs best.

Those of us on the "5for5" deal (five mp3 downloads a month for £5) are
going to be "terminated". We will lose our 5 mp3s as Rhapsody will not
be selling downloads, only offering streaming. What is more our
accounts are not going to be automatically transferred, we will have to
re-subscribe to a new service - presumably because it will be so
different from the old one.

That is a real disappointment for me as I have been able to download an
album a month for around £1 - £2.  Sometimes £0 if the album had fewer
than 5 tracks. That effectively meant I was getting my Napster
subscription almost for free - as I would have been buying that music
in any case.

I will have to reconsider which streaming service to go with as an
alternative.

Any views on how Rhapsody compares to Spotify?

Will Logitech Squeezebox be offering a Rhapsody interface for UK
subscribers?

--
TheLastMan

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology DS107+ (500GB) NAS running LMS 7.7.0 on SSODSmod
4.14
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline.